Wyke Green Golf Club

The area called Wyke Green is mentioned in historical documents dating back more than three hundred years. The idea of constructing a golf course is credited to W.H. Tate, an Osterley resident who in April 1926 began the construction of a fourteen-hole course in three hay fields. The designers were F.G. Hawtree and J.H. Taylor who even to this day remain among the best golf course designers of all time. Hawtree believed that golf should be available to all and even more importantly that "manners matter, money does not".

Play commenced in August 1928 only four months after the original idea was floated. In the same year the original clubhouse opened, part of which remains incorporated within the present building. By 1930 the Club had constructed an additional four holes and the inaugural match took place in May of that year.

The middle part of the course was turned over to agriculture during the war years and the reconstructed course was returned to 18 holes and golf in 1951.