About the Business

Willesley Park Golf Club has been on its' present site since 1920 when the land was leased from Major Ashworth, who had previously bought the Willesley Estate including Willesley Hall. The golf course, smaller than it is now, was designed by Mr Cotton, one of the famous triumvirate of Braid, Taylor and Vardon. The course was opened for play in April 1921 and expanded to more nearly its' current size in 1926.

Around 1930, the Golf Club had the opportunity to buy Willesley Hall, and what a fine clubhouse it would have made, but the cost proved to be too much. In addition, its' location was considered to be too far out of town at a time when most members did not have cars. After the Second World War, during which much of the course was given over to agriculture, the course was re-opened for play. The members were able to buy the land from the Ashworth Estate. Club membership increased over the next few years and a much needed new clubhouse was built in 1957/58.

Location & Hours

Measham Road

Ashby de la Zouch, LE65 2PF
Write a Review
Is this your business?

Claim this business
Business Removal

Request a Business Removal