Greenock Golf Club

The Greenock Golf Club was founded in 1890 and is located in a commanding position high above the town. In 1924 that busiest of all Golf Course Architects, former open champion James Braid was invited to advise on reconstruction. Leased farmlands were duly purchased and an eighteen and a nine hole course were built, being completed in 1927. The course is moorland with trees defining many of the fairways and it is to no exaggeration to say the views over the Clyde Estuary to the Argyll hills beyond are simply spectacular. The club has played host to several professional and amateur county championships over the years, while some of the worthy exponents of the game have graced its fairways; JH Taylor, Harry Vardon, Roberto de Vicenzo and Sam Torrance have all exhibited their skills to the members. Set in the heart of Renfrewshire, Greenock golf club is only 25 minutes from Glasgow International Airport and is easily accessible from all regions.